Thank you for your interest in Raptors Edge competitive softball! Our competitive softball program gets girls playing softball competitively at a young age, building skills needed to make it to high school and university levels.
We have two types of competitive programs:
* Year round softball, which runs from mid-October through late July. This season avoids conflict with the high school softball season that runs August through early October, in compliance with the CSHAA rules. Tryouts are typically held in July or early August. Raptors Edge competitive softball is affiliated with USA softball and we participate in tournament play through a combination of USA/ASA, Triple Crown, and some USSSA tournaments throughout the Colorado front rage. Because of the increased level of play that competitive softball entails as compared to recreational softball, all girls will be required to try out in order to secure a spot on a team.
* Fall league softball (for elementary and middle school aged competitive players), with enrollment/tryouts starting in April, practices starting in late June or early July (once the Spring competitive season is concluded), and league games from August through early October. This is only an option for players not playing in high school, since CSHAA rules prohibit playing in both high school and club softball at the same time.
The Raptors Edge fall 2018 competitive (10U, 12U, 14U) softball schedule is as follows (dates are tentative and subject to change):
- April 29th: Early bird registration opens
- May 25th: Last day for early bird registration. Get registered before school ends! (Note that registration must be paid in full before the early bird deadline in order to get the early bird discount. Unpaid registrations are not considered completed registrations.)
- May 26th: Regular registration period begins.
- June 18-29: Tryouts. All new Raptors Edge players must attend at least one tryout. Raptors Edge players from Spring 2018 may or may not be required to tryout; please speak to your Raptors Edge coach about whether a tryout will be required for Fall 2018.
- June 30th: Registration ends (please note: unpaid registrations after this date will be moved to the waitlist and will be subject to late fees).
- July 1st through August 13: Late registration period (subject to availability of roster spots on teams). Additional fees apply at this point because of rush processing of uniforms, change requests to the AYL rosters, etc. that we incur.
- Week of July 2: comp softball teams are organized, coaches send out welcome emails and practice logistics (note: if you are part of an existing team, this may have already taken place.)
- Week of July 9: practices begin
- Week of July 9: for players needing a uniform, uniform fittings take place this week (either during practice or at Play It Again Sports; stay tuned for details)
- August 13: Late registration ends / AYL rec rosters finalized
- August 18: First AYL comp season games (location and timings to be announced week of Aug 13)
- September 1: Labor Day weekend (no AYL games)
- September 22-23 : AYL playoff tournament (bracket play, double-elimination)
- September 28-29: AYL playoff tournament, continued (for teams still in the tournament)
There will be a total of ten regular season games played (on Saturdays) from August through the end of September, throughout the Denver metro area. Some weekends will involve double-header games. There will also be a double-elimination playoff tournament at the end of the season for all teams (minimum of two playoff games).
Practices will generally be held twice a week in a location in the Castle Rock area (or wherever players/teams are primarily located), with a frequency and duration of practices to be determined by the head coach of each team. Typically, practices are held on weekdays in the late afternoon after school/work for 90 minutes in duration.
Please note: Registration fees must be paid at the time of registration (unless alternative arrangements have been made with the softball director), and unpaid players will be placed on the waiting list. Unpaid players will be removed from the roster at the time rosters are submitted to the league. Your registration cost includes the cost of all practice fields and games. All other expenses (equipment, apparel, transportation fees, etc.) are the responsibility of the player/family. Please note that Raptors Edge uniforms for competitive softball incur an additional fee and this is required for new players (home jersey, away jersey, pants, and two pairs of socks are included in the uniform). Returning Raptors Edge players whose uniforms are in good condition will not need to order a new uniform.
All Raptors coaches and staff members are volunteers who give back to their community with their time and talents. Registration fees are non-refundable.
Moving up to the next age bracket in 2019 and wanting to play Raptors Edge competitive softball? Circle these dates for reference and stay tuned for more details:
* July 21-29, 2018: first tryouts for Spring 2019 Raptors Edge 16U/18U
* October 6-14, 2018: tryouts for all Spring 2019 Raptors Edge levels (10U, 12U, 14U, 16U, 18U)
Interested in being a Raptors Edge competitive softball coach? Please talk to Dan Pfefferkorn, Raptors director of softball, for more information.
For questions, please contact our Raptors Softball director, Dan Pfefferkorn, at email@example.com.